The film version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was so good. Books usually are always ruined when it comes to being made into movies, but honestly I enjoyed the movie 10 times better than the book. I thought it was a better understanding of the full story [even though there were quite a few differences.] Jack N. played a great young, crazy rebellion but then again that seems to be a part he can still play well to this day. The only thing I hated about the movie was Chief and I think that would be what Ken Kesey would hate as well.
The whole novel is narrated by Chief but in the film it's like he barely has a say. In the book, it talks about how Chief is tired of remaining silent and just shows his whole outlook of the hosiptal and Mcmurphy and the Nurse. Not only does he not have a say but they completely butchered the scene in which Chief looks out the window and "breathes" for the first time. "It's fall coming, I kept thinking...Right outside here it was spring a while back, then it was summer...I realized I still had my eyes shut...like I was scared to look outside. Now I had to open them."(Kesey 141) In the book that was such a strong scene and the movie didn't express it strongly at all.
However that wasn't the only thing that Kesey wouldn't have like, they put absolutely nothing in about the "fog" as symbolism for fear. Kesey also seemed to focus and revolve most of the books on the theme of mechanism of the patients as if each one had a function and the way each way one worked like a machine. The filmmakers seemed to take the theoretically speaking part of the book, and the motifs, and just completely left them out.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice job - did you look for an outside source about Kesey and the film? You were to bring that in.
ReplyDelete